How the Anti-Budget Can Save Your Wallet

The Anti-Budget (or the 80/20 Budget)Let’s see a show of hands: how many of you actually make a budget?

(Silence. Crickets chirping.)

Yeah, I thought so.

One of the most overplayed pieces of financial advice is “make a budget.” I’m sure there are some of you – the diligent and detail-oriented personalities – who jive with this idea. You dig data. You love crunching numbers. Good for you. Budgeting is a great tactic for people who can stick with it.

The problem is, most of us don’t stick with it.

Budgeting is tedious and time-consuming. I’m a personal finance nerd, and even I think it’s arduous, so I can only imagine how restless “normal” people must feel.

We all know that we “should” budget. That doesn’t change anything. There are many things we “should” do. We “should” drive the speed limit. We “should” wear sunscreen every time we leave the house. We “should” floss our teeth daily.

In later posts, I’ll go over how to develop habits, turning these “shoulds” into reality. It’s possible to wake up earlier, to wear sunscreen, to eat more veggies. I’m calling it the Habit Project, and it’s going to be a focus on Afford Anything in the coming weeks.

But in this post, I’m going to suggest an alternative for the Afford Anything readers who embrace the reality that they’ll never actually make a budget. It’s my anti-budget, and it’s simple:

Take your savings off the top. Spend the rest.

Boom! See how easy that is? There’s no need to classify whether your money is going towards groceries, electricity or cat food. Just skim off the amount of money that you want to save. Run wild with everything else.

You could call it the 80/20 Budget –- spend 80 percent, save 20 percent. That’s the smallest savings rate I’d recommend.

If you want a thicker cash cushion, try the 70/30 Budget –- spend 70 percent, save 30.

If you’re serious about ditching the rat race within the next decade, shoot for the 50/50 budget, or even the 40/60 plan (spend 40 percent, save the other 60).

(If you’re carrying high-interest credit card debt, hit 50/50 or 40/60. Credit card debt is an emergency, and it demands drastic action. You life will suck for awhile, and that’s okay, because there’s a brilliant light at the end of the tunnel.)

No matter what you call it, no matter what ratio you choose, the anti-budget is a simple two-step process: save off the top, spend the rest.

You don’t need to line-item your sunglasses, moisturizing cream, and that time you ran to the grocery store to pick up some broccoli. Let’s face it, you were never going to line-item those purchases, anyway. And you read financial blogs! If you’re not going to do it, who will?

No one. And that’s the point.

Thanks to Flickr user Hugo Quintero for today’s photo.

Tags: , , ,

42 Responses to “How the Anti-Budget Can Save Your Wallet”

1. Julie @ The Family CEO
    05. Mar, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Amen, sister! Actually I love to MAKE budgets (I’m a numbers nerd like you). I just hate FOLLOWING them.

05. Mar, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

@Julie — I understand! I love mapping out — in theory — where my money will go. I just hate following up to see if theory matched reality.

2. Chris
    05. Mar, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Have you heard of the theory that willpower is a finite resource in our bodies? It’s like a muscle that you can workout and get stronger but you can only lift so much in a day before your muscle begins to fail. So that’s why you work it out making it stronger and stronger every day. Certain things, like exercising, take more willpower than others, like deciding whether to speed up through the light on yield or slow down, and that every decision made no matter how big or small costs us just a bit of our willpower. The reason I brought that up, is because they say that habit forming will release a substantial amount of willpower. So if you habitually turn off the lights when you leave the room, you don’t have to think about it or decide whether you’re going to do it or not, you just do it. Leaving that much more willpower to be used for tackling bigger things. This is why they say a lot of your big decisions should be made earlier in the day! We’ve all been there when we get home from a long stressful day and ate that extra cookie we shouldn’t or go grab a burger instead of cooking something healthy. Using this theory, at least for me, has given me missions to overcome bad spending or wasteful acts and turn good savings and productive acts into a habit.

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:42 am #

@Chris — Yes, I like that theory! I’ve heard that in relation to why “moments of weakness” often happen at night …. strict dieters will cave to a midnight snack, etc. I’ve also noticed that my most productive hours are in the morning, probably for the same reason.

3. Rich Schmidt
    05. Mar, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Excellent post! We’ve lived by an “anti-budget” for all 16 years of our married life, and it’s served us well! We actually use the 10-10-80 approach (give 10%, save 10%, enjoy the rest), but we bump up the first two numbers. I think we’re around 20-20-60 at this point. Rather than obsess over every purchase, it’s much easier to just automate the important stuff off the top and then enjoy what’s left worry-free!

Frankly, I’d never thought of it as an “anti-budget.” It’s just a budget with very few categories. :)

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:39 am #

@Rich — I like your style!! Precisely: it’s a budget with very few categories. It’s easy, it’s automated, and it’s hassle-free. :-)

4. Mrs. Pop @ Planting Our Pennies
    05. Mar, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

We’ve got a really variable income stream, so for us budgeting is what works the best. We spend what we always spend and save/invest everything else. Plus, I think people overdo how hard budgeting is. Mint is insanely easy if you’re already in the habit of paying with credit/debit cards and walking around with your smart phone all the time.

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:39 am #

@Mrs. Pop — Mint.com is a nice resource, although sometimes their classification system gets it wrong. I’ve frequently had the experience in which Mint will incorrectly classify a merchant as “clothing” when it’s actually “hardware,” etc. (That tends to happen more with locally-owned stores). I’ve dealt with it by glancing at Mint to get information about the big-picture: how much did I spend (on everything) this month?

That said, budgeting is more important when your income is variable. A fluctuating income requires more oversight and management.

5. Ross
    05. Mar, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

So I am an incredibly detailed oriented person who loves making budgets and graphs… but I guess most other folks don’t enjoy graphing and budgeting as much as I do. Like you said, just figuring out what reasonable percentage to save is would make a world of different to most folks. I agree with Mrs. Pop. If you mess up Mint, you aren’t even trying.

6. Jacq
    05. Mar, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Well, I have to admit to being an 80/20 person – only more like save 80% and spend 20%. I’d rather spend my money shopping for stocks than anything else.

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:31 am #

@Jacq — That’s AWESOME!! I’m at about 50/50. I’d love to be at 80/20. Good for you!!

7. greg
    06. Mar, 2013 at 12:35 am #

even though my budget is obsessively detailed, my starting rule is somewhat similar, but a bit different: set an amount per week that can be spent and just track the net amount over/under each week. Obviously won’t work for everybody, but for me it seems to be a good heuristic.

And I try not to beat myself up for the (actually quite rare) occasional drift over the weekly limit …

8. Little House
    06. Mar, 2013 at 9:47 am #

I like this idea, but the only drawback is you need to make sure you have 20% to save within your budget (and there’s that word). I know that sounds anti-personal finance, but if 95% of your income is going towards bills, you don’t have the 20% available for savings. Only if you sit down and crunch numbers will you see where you can cut back on expenses (cable, eating out, possibly moving to a cheaper place), then you can go with the 80/20 rule.

I think I need to move. ;)

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:30 am #

@Little House — The idea is that once you remove your savings off the top, you’ll be forced to live on the other 80 percent. If your bills are too high, you’ll be forced to trim those back. You’ll see that you don’t have enough cash coming in to cover your bills, so you’ll cancel your cable, stop eating at restaurants as much, downgrade your phone plan, and pick up extra cash through an evening/weekend job.

9. jlcollinsnh
    06. Mar, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

This is exactly what I’ve done all these years and it works like a charm. And I do track every dime I spend, but that’s just ’cause I’m curious about it.

10. Mike Damazo
    06. Mar, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

This would be broken down into two columuns in a budget. Save and spend, but what about debt and bills? I agree with minimizing the items income is divded into. Do you suggest zero-ing out each paycheck or to let it roll over to a set fund?

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:28 am #

@Mike — Bills (like electricity, your phone bill, etc.) are part of “spending.” Making the minimum payments on your debt, like your monthly car payment or your mortgage payment, is also part of “spending.” Making EXTRA payments on your debt, above-and-beyond what you owe that month, is part of savings.

I’m not sure what you mean by “zero-ing” out each paycheck. Some of the money — hopefully at least 20 percent, if not more! — will go towards your savings.

11. nick
    06. Mar, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

Using a budget I’m able to determine how much i can live on per year. Even better i can find where I’m spending too much and reduce my spending accordingly

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:17 am #

@Nick — If budgeting works for you, stick with it! I wrote this post to help people who have trouble sticking with a formal/traditional budget. If traditional budgeting works for you, though, then keep doing it!

12. 101 Centavos
    06. Mar, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

Budgeting? No.
    Occasionally reverting to the expense spreadsheet to do a category check? Guilty. But only because I have repressed OCD tendencies. :-)

13. Budget & the Beach
    07. Mar, 2013 at 11:11 am #

As a freelancer I found NOT having a budget was just a financial killer for me. It is tough to stick to, but once you make it a habit I found I could stick with it. And believe me it took many stops and starts to finally stick to one, but since I have I’m way more organized about my finances. I need to “see” where everything is going…even if I go over…it gives me a visual of everything.

07. Mar, 2013 at 11:25 am #

@Budget — Freelancing adds a whole new level of complexity to the game! With different amounts of money coming in each month, it’s tough to “plan” the way that people with a traditional paycheck do. I usually tell freelancers to look at the past 2 years’ worth of earnings, find the month in which they earned the smallest amount, and base their expenses/cost-of-living on that number. Any additional money you earn is a “bonus!”

14. Untemplater
    08. Mar, 2013 at 12:29 am #

I like keeping a budget. I have a spreadsheet that I update every 6-12 months with my savings progress and any adjustments I need for changes in expenses, income, and goals. Now that I have the format set it’s pretty easy to update without much effort.

15. William @ Bite the Bullet Investing
    08. Mar, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

You’re absolutely right. We even went so far as to over-withhold income taxes on our pay, to create an annual windfall from a tax refund. (The fact that it also gave us a good incentive to file early was just a bonus.) Experts all say that’s crazy, but they’re wrong: the interest we forego is pennies, and it’s an easy-peasy way to save (and it’s untouchable until tax time).

We did (and still do( what you say: first take off everything that “has” to be taken care of (savings, emergency fund, mortgage, etc.) And what’s left over is “spend with peace,” but “when it’s done, it’s done. No bump with a credit card.”

11. Mar, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

@William — Oh, I totally agree with you about taxes. Most financial experts want to nit-pick about the “interest-free loan” that people give the government. But if handing the gov’t that money can help you save more than you otherwise would, then DO IT! I wrote a post about this last year — http://affordanything.com/2012/04/11/tax-refund-good-or-bad/

16. maria@moneyprinciple
    09. Mar, 2013 at 4:06 am #

This is good! In fact, I do something very similar most of the time. Twice a year or so I’ll do a detailed inventory of what is being spent on what just to make sure that some part of the spends is not out of proportion (like chocolate :)).

17. Joel
    10. Mar, 2013 at 11:07 pm #

Thanks for the post. I do this same strategy and it makes it hard at times because there’s never a good time to save. However it’s best to cut corners and sacrifice now, and if you can deposit your money in a 401k or IRA then you get tax deductions too.

18. Mo' Money Mo' Houses
    11. Mar, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

That’s definitely the easiest way to make a budget for sure and make sure you save the right amount to reach your savings goal. Great post!

19. Will Van Hartog
    12. Mar, 2013 at 9:43 am #

What form of appeasement do you think the politicians will come up with this time??

20. Anne @ Unique Gifter
    12. Mar, 2013 at 10:08 am #

This is how we get down, too. We set aggressive savings goals for the year and tweak our behaviour/spending to match. It usually works out to a 50 or 60% savings rate.

21. Alex
    27. Apr, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

You are soooo right! I am putting 18 percent of my income into my 401K and it makes such a huge difference that it is incredible. Most people won’t do this because they do not understand that saving is the first expense before Starbucks coffee and McDonald’s lunches. Get rid of your Benz if you need to. Instead of retiring in your 70′s you can start having fun in your forties. You may even be able to retire young. I am retiring when I ‘m 46 so I can spend time with my daughters and my wife and family. Just take of your blinders and you will see how easy it will be.
    Travel to Southern Mexico or go to Ecuador and you will understand how rich you already are.

29. Apr, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

@Alex — That’s awesome for so many reasons! Retire young (or at least have enough money so that you have the OPTION, the freedom, to choose.) It’s not that hard, it just requires persistent savings and investing. I’m glad you’re on the path!

1. You Saved $128 Million by NOT Buying a Picasso! - Afford Anything | Afford Anything - 18. Mar, 2013

[...] with any of these purchases, assuming you’re not going into debt for them and you’re saving at least 20 percent of your income. You’re just not “saving” if you opt [...]

2. There Is A Budget For Everyone - Budget|Strong : Budget|Strong - 03. Apr, 2013

[...] of what they earn, but save consistently 20 percent of their earnings. Read more from Paula Pant here.The 50/30/20 Budget: This budget is for those that want to spend, save, and invest. You take 50% of [...]

3. Organising Queen » Blog Archive » Some really good reading for the weekend & the (not so small) Google Reader issue - 19. Apr, 2013

[...] The anti-budget [...]

4. How to budget and how not to budget | Debt Free Before 30 - 21. Aug, 2013

[…] I employ a simpler and more flexible budget: the “anti-budget,” as Afford Anything’s Paula Pant calls it; the 80/20, or the 75/20/5, or the […]

5. Automate your money or keep a tight budget? | Simple and Personal Finance - 25. Aug, 2013

6. How to Stop Worrying About the Cost of Starbucks and Make a Budget That Really Works | Rob Aeschbach - 27. Aug, 2013

[…] that is all still too complicated for you, then go read about Paula’s Anti-Budget. She out-simplifies even my simple plan. For a more Zen-like or Jungian take on budgeting, Jason […]

7. Carnival of Wealth, Misunderstood Edition | Control Your Cash: Making Money Make Sense - 02. Nov, 2013

[…] It’s almost like we’re trying to make up for some shortcoming) Paula Pant at Afford Anything exposes a truth that most of her contemporaries would never dare acknowledge: budgeting is […]

8. 3 Unconventional Ways to Super-Charge Your Savings | Afford Anything - 10. Dec, 2013

[…] call this the 80/20 Budget, since I recommend that people save at least 20 percent of their take-home pay. That’s enough to […]

9. Sunday Morning Dump: Best Links Of 2013 - Financial Uproar » Financial Uproar - 22. Dec, 2013

[…] 8. Afford Anything: The Anti-Budget […]

10. Principled Money Posts #37: Happy Mother's Day edition : The Money Principle - 21. Apr, 2014

[…] complex is confusing and it often fails. This is probably why Paula Pant’s article about the ‘anti-budget‘ really resonated with me. It is simple really – you save 20% and spend 80%; what you […]