If I Had $1 Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt

Yesterday I read three great posts all on the same topic: what would I do if I won a million dollars?

• One blogger says she’d pay off debt, save for retirement, take a vacation and remodel a home.
  • Another blogger would “stare in sheer disbelief at the balance in my bank account.”
  • And a third blogger would be watching penguins in Antarctica.

So I decided to write my own post: what would I do with a big, fat million?

Caution: The answer might shock you.

I would willingly – deliberately – go into debt.

Note: All figures are based on 2011 retirement limits.

#1: Pay about 33% in taxes. There goes $330,000. Bye-bye!

#2: But wait! I can reduce my tax burden by maxing out my Solo 401(k). As of the time of this writing (2011), that’s a $16,500 tax deduction!

#3: If I got that million prior to April 15, I could retroactively max out the previous year’s Solo 401 (k). Another $16,500 in deductions!

#4: If I win the million between Jan. 1 and April 15, I’ll retroactively max out my previous year’s Roth IRA. There goes $5,000!

#5: Max out my Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution for a $3,050 tax deduction.

#6: Gee, how much do I have left? My taxable income, thanks to all the deductions, is $963,950. The top tax bracket is 35%, but it’s marginal, so let’s say I’m paying, effectively, 33% in taxes — I can kiss $318,103 goodbye.

#7: Now I have $645,847 remaining. (Wow, a million goes fast!)

#8: My goal is financial freedom, which comes from a steady stream of passive income for the rest of my life. There are a few ways to achieve this:

• Laddered CD’s, which are the safest but lowest-yielding
  • Bond funds, which are also fairly safe but low-yielding
  • Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) that track stocks that pay high dividends
  • Real estate: Become a landlord, collect rent. To make this “truly passive,” hire a property manager.

I have a pretty high risk-tolerance. So I’d skip past the laddered CD’s and bond funds, and divide the money equally between rental properties and commission-free ETFs that track dividends — like Vanguard’s Dividend Appreciation ETF (stock symbol: VIG) or Vanguard’s High Dividend Yield ETF (stock symbol: VYM).

So … how much do you make each month?

Let’s assume I put half the remaining money into ETF’s that track dividends: that’s $322,923 into dividend-yielding ETFs. Assume I get an average of a 4 percent dividend payout each year: that means I’m collecting a cool $12,916 every year without having to lift a finger.

If the stocks within that fund rise, great. If they fall, boo. But stock growth isn’t the point; to me, that’s only a hedge against inflation, nothing more. The point is that they’re sticking almost $13,000 in my pocket each year.

But … that’s not very much!

(Wo)man cannot live on $13,000 alone. Which is why I’ve diversified, and invested the other $322,923 into rental properties.

There are two ways I could do this: buy houses in cash, or cut the money up into lots of little down payments and take out a bunch of mortgages. Because I’m 27, I’m going to take out a bunch of mortgages. That’s right … If I had a million dollars, I’d go into debt.

Let’s investigate both of these scenarios:

The Cash Scenario:

I buy a triplex in Atlanta for $220,000 and spend $100,000 fixing it up. (Poof! There goes all my money.)

I collect $1,000 per month from Unit 1 (a 2-bedroom), $800 per month from Unit 2 (a 1-bedroom), and $650 per month from Unit 3 (a smaller 1-bedroom). Gross monthly rent: $2,450.

I pay $250 per month in insurance, $200 per month for water, and $300 per month in property taxes ($9,000 per year). I also assume a 10 percent vacancy rate. I manage the property myself because I don’t want to lose another 10 percent to a property manager.

This means each year, I’m collecting a net total of $17,460 on my investment of $322,923. This is actually a better return than the $13,000 a year I’m getting from my dividend ETFs, which makes me happy. Between the ETF’s and the rental property, my million dollars is netting me a total of $30,460 per year in passive income. If I wanted to hire a property manager and make the investment TRULY passive, I’d net $28,714 each year.

(Now are you starting to understand why so many self-made millionaires drive 10-year-old used Toyotas?)

But let’s say I want to “live large” — or at least live a lifestyle that requires more than $28,000 a year. What’s a girl to do?

The Debt Scenario:

I chop up the $322,923 into a series of down payments for multi-unit houses. (Multi-unit houses are the best rental properties because your overhead is lower … you only have to replace one roof, maintain one yard, pay one insurance policy.)

Each multi-unit property I want to buy costs $300,000. I plunk down a 20 percent down payment on each — that’s $60,000 per house. At that rate, I can afford 5.3 houses (let’s call it 5 houses, after closing costs).

Because I’m getting an investor loan, rather than a primary mortgage loan, my interest rate is higher: 5.5 percent, rather than the 4.5 percent that homebuyers with good credit are receiving in 2011. I get a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, and don’t have to pay primary mortgage insurance because I’ve plunked down 20 percent. This means my monthly mortgage payment is $1,362.

My insurance, taxes and water for each house remain the same, at $700 per month in total. My gross rental income for each house remains the same, at $2,450 per month.

Add my expenses: $1,362 + $700. Subtract these from my monthly rental income: $2,450. I’m now left with $388 in my pocket each month.

Multiply by the 5 houses I own: this means I receive a passive income of $1,940 per month … which equals $23,280 per year.

Add this to the yearly $13,000 I’m getting from that dividend-paying ETF, and I now have $36,280 per year in passive income.

Debt Can Be Awesome — In Moderation

By financing those 5 properties — rather than paying in cash for 1 — I’m adding $6,000 to my pocket in passive income each year.

As the years pass by, and inflation kicks in, I can increase the rent (at the rate of inflation), though my fixed-rate mortgage payment will stay the same … which means the amount I’m collecting will grow every year.

At the end of 30 years, when I’m 57 years old, I’ll have 5 houses completely paid-off and will be raking in an extra $81,120 per year ON TOP OF the inflation-adjusted $36,280 I’m already collecting.

($1,352 monthly mortgage x 5 houses x 12 months = $81,120 per year).

This is why access to credit can be a very, very good thing.

Anyone can be wealthy if they live long enough.

Thanks to compounding interest — which Albert Einstein famously said is “the most powerful force in the universe” — anyone could be wealthy if they live long enough.

Unfortunately, life is short. And if you get started investing late in the game (i.e. past age 30), your investing life is even shorter.

That’s why access to credit can be so powerful. It accelerates time by letting us borrow money to invest. For every dollar we put in, we can buy 5 investment properties instead of 1.

Obviously, access to credit can work against us as well … when we use that credit to buy weddings, trips to Aruba, and jewelry. But used wisely, credit can be the key to riches.

That’s the principal behind micro-loans in developing countries: that millions of people are poor precisely because they CAN’T go into debt. That global poverty is partly the result of a lack of access to credit.

On a personal note, one of my biggest frustrations is how hard it is to secure a loan to buy investment real estate. Banks want 25 percent down payments, 18 months of work history with the same employer, a strong monthly salary, and … on and on.

If I had a million, I’d leverage it. I’d go into debt. And I’d come out stronger in the end. But I’d still be driving a used car.

Join The Rebellion

Tags: , , ,

89 Responses to “If I Had $1 Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt”

1. SillySimple
    11. Mar, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Awesome! love it! Running out to buy a lottery ticket right now. I love thinking about all the ways to become financially independent over the long haul.

2. CItyFlips
    11. Mar, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

Ha! You’re awesome. I love the way you thought through this. I’m not sure I would do the exact same thing with my money, but maybe close! I think I’m going to have to spin off this too! Good way to get you some blog love.

3. Jason
    11. Mar, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

Wow, you deserve a million just for putting so much time into this! Very interesting. I think there is a small percentage of people who would make it work for them like you, a very large percentage who would blow all of it, and a medium percentage who would keep it in a savings account, occasionally taking some out to pay for a new car/house/vacation, etc. I think I would be in between the medium percentage and your group: I’d like being able to have it all in one lump sum in my account, but I’d also like to have it making passive income for me. I think? Haha it’s very tough when you start really thinking about having that much money (at least when you’re 22 years old!). Good read.

4. Kellye Jago
    12. Mar, 2011 at 3:56 am #

Awesome post! I will definitely come back again!

5. MP3 Downloads
    12. Mar, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

great share, great article, very usefull for me…thank you

6. Pat S.
    12. Mar, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Not sure if you’d be able to put any money into your Roth IRA if you won a million dollars. Pretty sure thats over the income limits.

Extremely interesting article, however. Well thought out and an interesting take on personal finance.

Pat S.

• Afford-Anything.com
      12. Mar, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Whoops! You’re right … Roth IRA eligibility is only for people who’s adjusted gross income is less than $114,000 (if you’re single) or $166,000 (if you’re married). If I got the million prior to April 15, I could max-out my previous-year contribution … but you’re right, I couldn’t contribute for the year that I won the million! Good catch! Thank you!

7. Penny Stocks
    13. Mar, 2011 at 5:39 am #

actually appreciated what that you just wrote . it really isn’t so simple to seek out great stuff to read simple things (you’re sure READ! in addition to going through it like some uniterested and flesh eating zombie before going to an additional post to ignore), so cheers man for not wasting my time! :D

8. retirebyforty
    14. Mar, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Great post, but a couple of problems. You can’t contribute to Roth IRA since you made too much money that year.
    Also, the bank won’t lend you money to buy 5 houses. I could be wrong, but the main criteria they use is the debt to income ratio. That mean if you have no income, they won’t lend you a lot of money even if you have a million dollar in asset/investment. You should research and see how much they will lend. I’m curious too.

BTW, I would go into debt too since rental properties are so attractive right now! :)

• Afford-Anything.com
      14. Mar, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

@retireby40:

True about the Roth IRA — you couldn’t contribute to the current year’s Roth. You could contribute to your previous year’s Roth if you get the million between Jan. 1 and April 15.

Regarding bank loans: as I said, that’s one of my biggest frustrations right now! There are a lot of attractive rental properties in my area, but getting a loan is tough. I recommend trying the following avenues:

* A home equity loan against the equity in another home owned by either yourself or a family member who trusts you. Banks will generally lend you 80% of the equity, provided you have no other debt (like credit card debt). I did this to pay for the triplex I own.

* A “hard-money lender,” who services unconventional loans (e.g. loans the bank won’t give)

* Form an LLC. Ask the bank for a business loan (after all, real estate is now your business). Put up your mutual funds/index funds/ETFs as collateral against that loan. I know several small business owners who have done this in order to stem cash-flow problems in their business.

* Risky: Form partnerships with trusted others. You contribute the down payment money; they sign for the loan. Exercise caution if you go this route; always keep everything in writing. Refer to Nolo’s series of legal books for advice on the issues to consider before forging a partnership or LLC. Also, be upfront with your realtor and banker so that nothing you do could potentially be considered mortgage fraud.

9. LaTisha @FSYAonline
    14. Mar, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Wow. What a comprehensive list. I like the idea of maxing out contributions for the tax benefit. You can also use some retirement accounts to purchase real estate.

• Karen
      13. Mar, 2014 at 9:40 am #

With the amount of cash you’re putting into your retirement account you could put another down payment on a house with a non recourse loan using a self directed IRA. All the rental income goes directly into your retirement account.

10. Money Reasons
    14. Mar, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Sounds like the best plan that I’ve seen yet! Very well thought out!

It’s good to see that you are going with the triplexes and larger multi-unit homes!

11. Evan
    15. Mar, 2011 at 12:36 am #

A millions bucks isn’t coming! Are you making current moves to make the dream a reality?

• Afford-Anything.com
      15. Mar, 2011 at 9:25 am #

@Evan: LOL — that’s true, Evan! The “lottery” is just a tax for people who are bad at understanding the odds :-) I AM taking those steps … I max out my Roth IRA every year, have one year’s salary invested in equities, and bought a triplex last fall.

12. Barb Friedberg
    15. Mar, 2011 at 6:01 pm #

Delightful article. Would you manage the real estate yourself or hire a management company? Keep working or not? Good luck, you are smart and clever.

• Afford-Anything.com
      16. Mar, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

@Barb Friedberg : Thanks for the compliment! Whether I’d manage it myself or hire a management company would depend on my priorities at the time.

I own a triplex in Atlanta right now, and I manage it myself because
      1) I don’t have a high salary (i.e. it’s worth my time);
      2) I don’t intend to leave the city for an extended period of time; and
      3) I’m not really THAT busy (I don’t have children or aging parents to care for; I get 8 hours of sleep a night).

If any of those conditions change, I’d consider hiring a management company.

13. Len Penzo
    19. Mar, 2011 at 1:36 am #

I love it! Now all I need to do is win “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?” and I can get your ingenious plan started. ;-)

All the best,

Len
    Len Penzo dot Com

14. Jennifer Barry
    23. Mar, 2011 at 1:22 am #

I can tell you did a lot of work on this post! I’m all for going into debt in service of a master plan. A lot of businesses fail because they are starved for capital and can’t expand or take advantage of opportunities. A little debt can help.

That said, I don’t know that I would be a real estate investor right now. Maybe it’s different where you are, but in Dallas we have a huge number of vacant units. Owners have trouble selling their houses, so they try to rent, competing with condos and apartments. The only reason my landlord is making money on the place I’m renting is because he bought it over 20 years ago. I don’t see the real estate market bottoming until 2015 or so.

• AffordAnything.org
      23. Mar, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

@Jennifer Barry: I think a real estate market is good for being a landlord if it has the following features:

** a high density of young people (such as near a university or in a “hip” urban area with young professionals)
      ** an area where buying a home is expensive (at least, “expensive” in the eyes of the average 25-year-old)
      ** an area where lots of people, especially educated professionals, are moving to (such as Atlanta and Denver)

I own a triplex in a hip, trendy neighborhood in the urban core of Atlanta, where young professionals live + work. The triplex is walking distance to bars, restaurants, concert venues. Development is happening in this neighborhood (new shops are opening; homes are being renovated.)

My parents live in suburban Atlanta, where you have to drive to get to a restaurant or shop. It’s stable and cookie-cutter. There are homeowner’s associations and little league teams. People who live there have to commute to work. Their neighborhood would probably have a much harder time finding renters.

15. Justin @ MoneyIsTheRoot
    25. Mar, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Great article! Very thought provoking. In the case of rental properties, wouldnt the mortgage interest on a second home be tax deductible? That would lower your tax burden even more. And yes I would suggest taking out a mortgage even if you do have the cold hard cash to pay for it outright. I especially like what you say about dividend ETFs…i would stray from the laddered CDs and bonds myself!!!

16. Kevin @ Thousandaire.com
    30. Mar, 2011 at 11:45 am #

What a great, well thought out post. I’m glad you commented on my site so I could find yours :)

One day I might want to get into rental properties, but right now I’m happy just to be the renter. I love the flexibility of being able to move every year and not be tied down to one place.

• AffordAnything.org
      31. Mar, 2011 at 1:44 am #

@Kevin: Don’t forget — just because you own a property doesn’t mean you have to live there! I own a triplex right now, and I rent the room that I currently live in. The rent I collect from any given bedroom within the triplex is higher than the rent I pay for my bedroom, which means I’m coming out ahead each month. I DO plan on moving into the triplex later this year, but only because I want to — not because it necessarily makes the most financial sense.

17. Her Every Cent Counts
    04. Apr, 2011 at 3:03 am #

I love this post! I haven’t really thought about what I’d do if I won a million dollars… but I probably wouldn’t invest it in real estate, just because I know nothing about real estate. Clearly, you do. This post to be shown to everyone who wins the lottery… before they run off and blow their money.

By the way, I saw you are going to the Personal Finance Bloggers Conference. I just signed up today to attend as well. :) I look forward to meeting you there!

18. SaveMoneyMonthly
    04. Apr, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

I too would go the real estate route. Ideally you would also gain a 3% – 5% increase in your equity as you are bringing in rent. The hardest piece in this scenario to achieve is the initial million dollars. Start from scratch (and I mean less than $0 net) makes it tough.

• Zehra
      23. May, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

You can not include your exntiisg debt into your mortgage. It will count against you when you go to get a mortgage. It is good that you have a good credit score but you will have to come up with a min of 3.5% down plus closing costs. Even with your stuff in order making $26K per year will have you at about the $75-95K house range.

• AffordAnything.org
        25. May, 2012 at 11:05 am #

@Zehra — Read it again. The numbers listed here include a 20 percent downpayment.

19. Ginger
    05. Jul, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

A way to get around the fact that the bank would not lend you the money for all five is to buy one, wait two tax years and then buy the rest. Once you have had a rental for two tax years you can count the rent as income for the purpose of calculating the debt to income ratio.

• AffordAnything.org
      05. Jul, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

@Ginger – It counts as “income,” even if the money is going towards paying down the mortgage? Sweet!

20. Financial Samurai
    06. Jul, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Great post! I’m a multi property landlord, and I have to caution you that it’s not all cupcakes though. It feels good collecting positive cash flow and watching the mortgage debt decrease, but as you say, you’ve got to stick with it for the long term.

Best to go into debt with a precise day when you’ll be out of debt!

Sam

• AffordAnything.org
      09. Jul, 2011 at 2:16 am #

@Financial Samurai — I keep reading “tenant from hell” horror stories, but every tenant I’ve dealt with so far (knock on wood!) has been a tenant from heaven. They’re responsible, friendly, they pay rent on time. I hope it stays this way forever!!

21. Not Yet A Millionaire
    15. Jul, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Excellent article! But for those of us working the daily grind…and still struggling to find that $60,000 down payment (or $30,000 salary!), where to suggest starting? For someone with no current investments to leverage or use as collateral, where do you begin? I open this question to anyone who has advice!

• AffordAnything.org
      17. Jul, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

@Not Yet A Millionaire — Saving for a down payment happens one dollar at a time. Write out all your expenses, and see where you can make cuts on things that don’t matter much to you. Every $5 you can slash here, $10 you can slash there add up … if you save, for example, $25 a week, that’s $100 a month; $1200 a year. If you have a partner who can do the same, that’s $2400 a year.

Now, do something extra on the side that EARNS you $25 a week. Have your partner do the same. Now the two of you are up to $4800 a year. Double your efforts (earn an extra $50 a week plus save an extra $50 a week), and you’ll have an extra $9600 per year.

That’s enough for a 20% down payment on a $100K home after only 2 years. (Or if you’re a first-time homebuyer, you may qualify for a 3.5% down payment FHA loan.)

If you’re willing to do so: buy a home and get some roommates; have their share of the rent cover your mortgage, taxes, repair and insurance costs. Then take all the money you’d normally be spending on rent, and stash it into a savings account so that you can buy your second home. (Here’s my related story on doing this: http://afford-anything.com/2011/04/12/investing-in-a-home/ )

Make sure the rent you collect on the second home covers the mortgage, repairs, insurance, and taxes, with a little extra to spare. Take that “spare” money (probably $100 – $200 a month) and stash it into a savings account to buy your third home.

Keep repeating this process until you’ve collected a good number of homes, which are cumulatively kicking off $1,000 or $2,000 or $3,000 a month … then retire on that passive income.

Other readers — what advice do you have?

22. Mike
    19. Jul, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

Very interesting post. You’ve forgotten a few tax issues, however. First, you don’t seem to be accounting for state income taxes. These average around 6% for most people, but can be up to 11%. There are a few states that have none, however. In addition, the federal income rate of 35% is the federal portion only. If you receive this money after 2012, don’t forget to include the new 3.8% medicare “surcharge”, which now applies to ALL income (not just wages, tips, etc). In addition, since you’ve won this money, you can’t contribute it to ANY retirement account at all. NO 401ks, NO 403Bs, NO IRAs of any kind (Roth or otherwise). You can only contribute EARNED income to those accounts, and an inheritance, lottery win, etc would not count as earned income. Ditto for health savings accounts, and just about all the deferal strategies that exist for normal (sub 250k earner) households. You see, the rich are different, they don’t get tax breaks. The kicker is, you wouldn’t even be allowed to write off health insurance premiums or costs (unless they exceed 7.5% of your AGI, or $75,000), because, again, those can only be written off against EARNED income. You will wind up paying massive taxes on this money (close to 50% in most jurisdictions), and you won’t be able to do most of the tax magic/retirement account/HSA stuff you can do with earned income. And after paying those taxes, and not being able to write anything off, there would be a lot of people reminding you that you still haven’t paid your “Fair Share”.

23. Lori
    22. Jul, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Great article. I would consider going into debt. I have never thought about it before, but the way you have explained everything is very thought provoking.

24. Frank
    22. Jul, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

My vote: Debt.

But what debt means in this case is: investment.

I am a gardener, and one cilantro seed planted last year gave me hundreds of seeds to plant this year. Now I have cilantro to share or sell. But to get there, I had to let that plant go to seed (or buy a bunch of seeds). I opted for buying my eating cilantro last year–instead of getting it for free by using up the plant I already had. I invested my garden plant to produce more in the future. And that is the dilemma–consume all your garden today, or invest some in the future.

People live paycheck to paycheck when their “garden” is not producing more than they need. To get a garden to produce more than you need requires some planting, some faithful tending and time. The question is–who will do the work today and be willing to wait for the “big” harvest that is not coming immediately?

Have you read about the Buddhist monasteries that teach not worrying about the future…and the monks who live in the mountains of China and Tibet? Even they save seeds and grow gardens.

25. SB(One Cent At A Time)
    24. Jul, 2011 at 11:29 am #

great article read it because of tour de PF, I wuld say financial romanticism at its best is displayed here.

26. Jerome
    21. Aug, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

I definitely would be in debt too!
    The thing is if you got tons of money, there are many things you want to acquire. And the expenses arises. Seeing that you got money you go risk it through debt.
    Sad but true!

27. Fila
    25. Aug, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

Well, for me, if I had a million dollars, I think I won’t go into debt. Or what we called investments. I think I will save it to the bank and some I will buy a house and lot.

28. Trevor Leffingwell
    26. Sep, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Here’s an idea: take one year of all that money you’ve won and dump it into one of the new income annuities. You’ll quickly make up whatever you lost in taxes. I can’t wait to win the powerball and put this idea to work!

29. Tiffany
    29. Sep, 2011 at 9:17 am #

The thing that a lot of people forget is that a lot of wealthy people start off using other peoples money not there own. You have to have a plan and a well thought out just in case something happens. Many don’t and they squander their own money or they don’t have good enough credit to do anything but get credit cards.

• AffordAnything.org
      29. Sep, 2011 at 10:44 am #

@Tiffany — Exactly! Wealthy people start by leveraging other people’s time and money, not their own. Well said!

30. Julianna
    16. Oct, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

I found your blog today after another blogger linked to your “Stop Crying” article. Your advice is fantastic!

I have to ask though: in your About Me post, you mentioned that you were not born rich. Where did you get the seed money to begin building your wealth? Your previous job? I apologize if that’s too personal. I’m starting from scratch myself after a divorce, so I’m trying to figure out how to create wealth for myself. I don’t have kids so that’ll help!

Thanks for a great blog.

• AffordAnything.org
      17. Oct, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

@Juliana — Great question. My business is based online — I’m a self-employed writer — so I didn’t need much startup capital: just a laptop and a high-speed internet connection. It required a huge investment of time, but not much of a financial investment.

I’m also a landlord, and my post on this upcoming Wednesday will describe in detail how I found the funding to buy that property. The short story is: instead of buying a home for myself (that I’d simply use as a consumer), I bought an investment property — a multi-unit building — that I could both live in AND rent out.

31. Bryson G. Baylor
    10. Nov, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Paula, this content is amazing. Your absolutely rock. Makes me want to go into debt if I had a million as well!

32. Mom Equity
    23. Nov, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Paula this is very cool. And for those of you looking in from other cities, Atlanta does have a unique situation. Our rents haven’t fallen much but our property values have fallen significantly. So, Paula’s multi family investment that would have cost her 400k 5 years ago now cost her less than 300k for the initial investment. The rents, on the other hand, may have gone down about $100 per month per unit in that same period of time.

You can get a better return with higher risk elsewhere in Atlanta (i.e. less responsible tenants). Everyone has their comfort zone.

Can’t wait to see what else you do!

• AffordAnything.org
      23. Nov, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

@Mom Equity — These days when my family or friends ask if I’m planning on moving elsewhere (I’m famous for being restless and moving around a lot), I answer: Heck no, not while Atlanta’s rental housing market is this fantastic!!

33. Martilyo
    25. Nov, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Very interesting post. There are other avenues that would bring you income other than real estate. Since you have the liquid assets, you could also invest in a franchise business. I have traveled the US and notice new smaller franchises that are doing very well, $600,000+ gross profit a year. Find a niche, a new location and build your first location. Do well, and build other ones in near by locations. Talk to the company and become a developer for new franchisees and collect a percentage of the new franchisees business. Develop enough franchises for others and then sell yours. You will then collect a percentage of their profit just by stopping by and ensuring they are operating within standards. Hey… it is an idea.

Also, I would not buy a $220,000 triplex that needs $100k in repair. Find something that needs a little TLC to become profitable. Another idea would be to buy rental properties dirt cheap, rent them for a while and then flip them. If you hold a rental for 3 years, you can show a good rental history. Of course there are a lot of variables in this plan but it could be done.

I look at “what would I do if I had a million dollars” more like “how efficient can I make my money.” Obviously investing it in interest bearing accounts and mutual funds make things very efficient since you really don’t have to do much but let it sit there. Real estate is good if you are in a good area and you buy right. I have a couple properties myself and my tenants are blessings. It is all how you choose them and explain to them your expectations. Make it feel like their home and you will do better than if you act like a greedy rich slum lord who only cares about money. Anyway, sorry for the ramblings but I probably could go on for days!

Martilyo

• AffordAnything.org
      25. Nov, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

@Martilyo — Before going into properties, I think its important to decide your strategy — flip or hold? — and stick to it. Too many investments have gone awry because the owner doesn’t have a “business plan” that determines whether he’s investing for appreciation or investing for rental income. You evaluate property using very different sets of criteria depending on whether you’re flipping or holding, so you need to be clear about which strategy you’re using.

Personally, I’m 100 percent in the “buy and hold” category. Flipping feels to speculative. I know people who have done it successfully, and I know people who have lost everything doing it. Owning cash-flow rentals is a safer, more stable strategy — less upside potential, but also far less risk.

34. Marion
    06. Jan, 2012 at 9:40 am #

If one advances confidently in the directions of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.

35. 30kto30million
    13. Jan, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Interesting Read! Just curious as to why limit to triplex, and not a bigger unit property.. from what i have read it is cheaper to run a bigger unit property since only paying fee’s for buying and taxes on one property instead of in this case 5.. would it even be possible to buy a property worth 1.65million with 330k down? not sure how many units that would buy you there but i would think it would be in the same range of 15units+.. and if were able to find one that is a deal.. would be all the better..

• AffordAnything.org
      14. Jan, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

@30kto30million — I would love, love, love to buy a 1.65 million property with $200-$300k down, but unfortunately no bank will approve me for a loan like that!

36. bob
    01. Feb, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Good article. Ive had the same thought process. It requires $2.4 million in investment to retire at the median household income. So bottomline a multimillionaire still has to have active incomei.e work.

37. Alvin Estes
    13. Mar, 2012 at 4:51 am #

People live paycheck to paycheck when their “garden” is not producing more than they need. To get a garden to produce more than you need requires some planting, some faithful tending and time. The question is–who will do the work today and be willing to wait for the “big” harvest.

38. Andrei M | Online pawn shops
    20. Apr, 2012 at 5:03 am #

Wow! Great invest plan. Looks like if you actually will win a million, you don’t have to think what you will spend because you already have a huge list. :)

• Get Rich Point
      31. May, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Believe me, most of us have already decided how will they spend a million dollars

39. Nightvid Cole
    30. Jun, 2012 at 9:20 am #

What about repairs and maintenance, catastrophic loss due to insurance not covering something, legal fees, and the opportunity cost associated with the time you will spend managing the houses, legal stuff, paperwork, etc, which you could otherwise spend working at some other job? Not to mention that if the houses are any significant distance apart or away from where you live, you will also have associated transportation costs (gasoline, motor oil, car repairs and maintenance, insurance, fees, depreciation, etc…) ? You make it sound rosy, in part because you are ignoring what is perhaps best known as “real life”…..

40. Jason | UK Credit
    18. Jul, 2012 at 11:01 am #

In this day and age the idea of ‘I wish I had a million dollars’ is slightly less relevant than it once was as essentially it wouldn’t be all that helpful. As you said; the taxman would take a third of if, once you’ve payed of your mortgage and existing debts and bought the car of your dreams, you are going to be broke all over again!

20. Jul, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

@Jason – Yeah, a million doesn’t go very far anymore!

41. Otis Allen
    23. Jul, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

This is a great article! I do wish you had gone further into the possible capital gains/losses associated with real estate. Real estate can be a major home run or a terrible sink hole. The key is to really research and find a great property.

Really like this Blog!!!

42. thestarvingartistcanada
    16. Aug, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Don’t forget about REITs! (Real Estate Investment Trusts).

They pay super high dividends and are “flow-through” for tax purposes. So in subsequent years you won’t pay much income taxes on the dividends (which are the rental income) Plus, you have no direct risks to tenants taking you to court if your furnace explodes on Christmas Eve, the pipes freeze and they sue you for being unable to get repairs done for 2 weeks. All the while you’re in court (say 3-6 months) they are NOT paying you rent, yet you’re still on the hook for your mortgage, insurance, gas, water, electric.

Yes, a property manager should deal with all of that for you, but the REITs ARE essentially that, but they manage hundreds to thousands of tenants and dozens to hundreds of buildings. (Thus diversifying your tenant base reducing your risk.)

Plus since they are publicly traded you can sell your shares lickety-split!

43. TC
    26. Oct, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

Very interesting thought experiment. Might I propose a different scenario:

You’re right that taxes take out a big chunk of the initial winnings. I only take home about 60% of my annual bonus, and I’m not even in the highest tax bracket. For the sake of argument, lets say the net takehome is around $600,000.

Instead of buying real estate, lets invest the 600k into an index fund with the following assumptions:

Initial principle: $600k
    Expected appreciation: 8% (the S&P has returned 11%/year over the past 30 years according to the SEC: http://www.sec.gov/investor/tools/mfcc/rate-of-return.htm, but we’ll be a little more conservative with our estimate)
    Years to invest: 30
    Dividend Yield: 2.5%
    Tax rate: 35% (could definitely vary here)

Using these inputs, this calculator (http://loanlane.com/divcalculator2.php) estimates the ending result at $9,450,000!

(As a side note, the calculator does not take into account fees from the mutual fund/ETF used, which would probably round that down to roughly $9M)

Now having 5 multi-unit homes usually comes with their own rate of appreciation, but according to Robert Shiller, the housing market guru, home values have historically not appreciated any faster than inflation. (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/04/11/history-says-your-house-may-not-be-a-good-financia.aspx)

So assuming a 3% inflation rate, lets say the homes appreciate around 3.5-4%, that’s still significantly less than the 8% reinvested returns we’re getting from market appreciation.

On top of it all, the only maintenance required would be a little math at tax time. I’d take that over waking up at 3 A.M. on a Sunday to repair a tenant’s toilet any day.

30. Oct, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

@TC — I like your scenario. Just two comments:

First, you’re reinvesting your stock market capital gains and dividends, which is a great practice. But to make that an apples-to-apples comparison, you’d also have to reinvest the cash flow coming from the properties. (In other words, you can’t have “realized” annual income in one scenario and “unrealized” annual income in the other).

Secondly, I hope that no landlord is waking up at 3 a.m. to repair a tenant’s toilet! The property manager, not the landlord, should be getting that 3 a.m. phone call.

(If the landlord chooses to manage the property himself, he’s taking on a second job. He should pay himself for this, at the same market rate that he would pay a property manager. That money should be considered his “active income,” not his “passive income.”)

44. Josefa Villarreal
    12. Mar, 2013 at 12:40 am #

Develop enough franchises for others and then sell yours. And yes I would suggest taking out a mortgage even if you do have the cold hard cash to pay for it outright. Best to go into debt with a precise day when you’ll be out of debt!

45. Jim
    03. Apr, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

So you are essentially saying “leverage your investments and you will earn a higher rate of return”. Which is absolutely true, whether you are talking about rental properties or just the stock market.

My problem with your post is that you are ignoring the downside of leverage, which is increased risk. Every investor should evaluate their potential investment not only on the estimated rate of return, but also on the expected amount of risk. So in this instance you have increased your expected rate of return, but you have also increased the amount of risk associated with your investment. According to the Capital Asset Pricing Model, there is a linear relationship between expected rate of return and risk.

So what does this mean? It means that leveraging doesn’t actually create value for an investor, it just changes your expected rate of return and expected amount of risk.

When evaluating an investment, the amount of risk you are assuming is like the cost of the investment, while the rate of return is like the value created. So by leveraging you are increasing your cost and your value. Its like asking the question: Which is better, a Honda Accord, or a Mercedes? In this case you are saying the Mercedes, but in reality the answer is neither because while the Accord provides lower value, it also costs less.

Each individual should evaluate potential investments based on their tolerance for risk and the rate of return they need. So buy the Mercedes or the Honda because they are both good purchases.

Sorry for the long response but I see a lot of people who misunderstand leverage and I think its an important concept to understand. I’m not saying you should never try to use leverage to increase your rate of return, all I’m saying is that you are not increasing value, which I think is an important concept to understand if you are planning on using leverage.

17. Apr, 2013 at 11:41 am #

@Jim — I absolutely love your response and I agree 100 percent. Risk and return are closely correlated, and risk is, indeed, the “cost” of the investment. I’m in my twenties, have no non-mortgage debt, no dependents, and a high risk tolerance (“high” being relative, of course). But a person in their fifties or sixties, with consumer debt and a generally low risk tolerance, should avoid leverage.

I recently wrote a post about the risk-reward tradeoff when it comes to paying down your mortgage versus investing, and about a year ago I wrote about paying down (general) debt versus investing. In both, I said that there’s an opportunity cost to paying down debt (you lose that “lever” that can propel your returns either upward or downward), but of course you reduce risk by paying the debt down. Neither option is “right” or “wrong,” because both feature tradeoffs.

46. Joseph Hogue
    11. Nov, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

So great to see a post on the positive use of debt. A powerful tool when used correctly.

Don’t forget, you can contribute to a Self-Employed (SEP) retirement program with up to 25% of your income as well. Another great way to defer taxes on money you don’t need immediately.

Great post.
    Joseph Hogue, CFA

1. How can I afford to go to nursing school while NOT working? | Scholarships and Grants - 11. Mar, 2011

[...] If I had a million dollars, I'd go into debt. | Afford-Anything … [...]

2. Carnival of Personal Finance #301: Color Theory Edition - 21. Mar, 2011

[...] best analysis I’ve seen to date of what someone would do with a million dollars. Apparently, she would go into debt, but probably not in the way you think. Check it [...]

3. Carnival of Personal Finance #301: Color Theory Edition | Credit Wise Info - 21. Mar, 2011

[...] a best research I’ve seen to date of what someone would do with a million dollars. Apparently, she would go into debt, though substantially not in a approach we think. Check it [...]

4. Carnival of Personal Finance #301 - 21. Mar, 2011

[...] Afford Anything: If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt. [...]

5. Carnival of Personal Finance #301 | Credit Wise Info - 21. Mar, 2011

[...] Afford Anything: If we Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt. [...]

6. Why Market Timing is a Bad Idea | AffordAnything.org: Yes, YOU can afford it! - 21. Mar, 2011

[...] an infant. And yet, on my first-ever submission to the Carnival of Personal Finance, my post on what I’d do with a million dollars was one of four selected as an Editor’s Pick. Yippiee!!!! **Insert Victory Dance Here** [...]

7. Sunday Round-Up for March 27th, 2011 | MomVesting - 27. Mar, 2011

[...] Afford Anything “If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go into Debt” [...]

8. The Independent Journalist » Blog Archive » Developing an Expertise - 10. Apr, 2011

[...] Paula Pant from the personal finance blog AffordAnything.org. Check out her popular recent post, If I had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt. Follow her on Twitter [...]

9. Please visit AffordAnything.org | affordanything - 08. Aug, 2011

[...] If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt [...]

10. Weekend reading: Everyone is at it - 13. Aug, 2011

[...] If I had a million dollars I’d go into debt – Afford Anything [...]

11. Weekly Roundup: Dumpsters, Blogs & Truth or Dare | Budgets Are Sexy - 19. Aug, 2011

[...] If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt @ Afford Anything [...]

12. The Best Blog Posts | Afford Anything .org - 30. Sep, 2011

[...] easy: If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt. Hands-down, it’s been viewed more than any other post on this site. Its success surprised me, [...]

13. Why I Quit My Job – and Why I Almost Didn’t | Afford Anything - 12. Oct, 2011

[...] most popular post, If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt, outlined both these strategies. And next week I’ll share my story of trying to buy a few [...]

14. Should I Repay Debt or Invest? | Afford Anything - 07. Dec, 2011

[...] (Check out this post — especially the bottom half — for a detailed explanation of the “borrow money to invest” argument.) [...]

15. Quit Calling Me An Idiot | Afford Anything - 16. Jan, 2012

[...] repeatedly told readers that if they use leverage responsibly, they can accelerate their income. I said it here, and here, and here, and on many other posts as [...]

16. Housewife Empire » Saturday Delight! - 24. Mar, 2012

[...] Afford Anything, I loved reading If I Had a Million Dollars, I’d Go Into Debt. I absolutely adore the way this chick plans her investing strategies for the long-term, and her [...]

17. Live Like No One Else | Jungle of Life - 16. Apr, 2012

[...] the major­ity of peo­ple don’t have a million-dollar retire­ment port­fo­lio. Cre­at­ing one requires mak­ing moves that are off the beaten [...]

18. Pay Down Your Mortgage or Invest the Cash? - Afford Anything | Afford Anything - 26. Mar, 2013

[...] (What about borrowing to invest in real estate? Here’s my take.) [...]