Target date retirement funds are simple, automated, easy.
The problem? What’s simple might not be optimal.
Investment expert Paul Merriman joins us to discuss the two-fund portfolio, a mix of one target date fund and one small cap value fund. He describes why this could be the ultimate portfolio for buy-and-hold investors who want to boost their returns, without excessive complexity or risk.
Here’s the idea behind a two-fund portfolio:
- Your age x 1.5 = the percentage of your portfolio in a target date fund
- Invest the rest in a small cap value fund
According to Merriman, this simple strategy could dramatically improve long-term aggregate returns without creating too much volatility or complexity.
Why? Merriman offers a few reasons:
- Target date funds arguably expose younger investors (the under-40 crowd) to too high of a bond allocation
- Target date funds arguably hold too much exposure to large-cap blend stocks, and not enough exposure to small-cap value stocks
Layering in just one additional fund, he says, could improve returns without creating an asset allocation or rebalancing nightmare.
Tune into today’s episode to learn more about how the two-fund strategy could impact your 401k (and also to hear firsthand stories about John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard, and his office full of teddy bears!)
You’ll enjoy this episode if:
- You love nerding out about asset allocation
- You want a super simple two-fund portfolio for your retirement savings
- You’ve taken the set-it-and-forget-it Target Date Retirement Fund approach and want to get more from your money in an easy way
- Chris Pederson’s articles
- Ben Carlson’s blog, A Wealth of Common Sense
- We’re Talking Millions!, by Paul Merriman
- Next Gen Personal Finance
Thanks to our sponsors!
Grove makes shopping for natural products easy, and they make reducing dependence on single-use plastics easy, too. If you’re looking to reduce plastic waste while shopping for organic products at a good price, go to grove.co/affordanything to get a free Mrs. Meyer’s & Grove set + free shipping and VIP Trial!
Want to find a financial advisor who’s legally obligated to act in your best interests and willing to have a no-commitment financial consultation with you? Check out SmartAsset’s quiz and get matched with three pre-screened advisors, plus, get a personalized retirement planning report at smartasset.com/paula.
Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR easy for modern small businesses. In fact, 72% of customers spend less than 5 minutes to run payroll! If you sign up at gusto.com/paula, you’ll receive 3 months free once you run your first payroll.
Busy, but love to read and learn? Blinkist is the only app that takes the best key takeaways from thousands of nonfiction books and condenses them down into just 15 minutes. You can start a free 7-day trial when you join at blinkist.com/paula.