Welcome back to PSA Thursday, a weekly-ish segment in which we talk about how to handle money, work, and life in the year that is 2020.
Paula Pant and Andy Hill broadcast from Dallas, where they’re part of a bare-bones skeleton production crew that’s hosting the 10th annual FinCon, a conference for a community of personal finance podcasters, YouTubers and bloggers.
On the evening before the event, they reflect on the importance of community, especially when it comes to learning about money management. Enjoy this behind-the-scenes glimpse.
Paula and Andy discuss:
- Why FinCon is a great resource for discovering others in the personal finance space. For example, content creators who cover Canada, student loan debt, parenting, etc.
- Why you shouldn’t hand your critical thinking over to someone else
- The philosophy of Afford Anything, and why that and the community come first
- Paula’s worldview on being an “expert” or a “guru” and how you can present yourself differently
- Paula puts Andy in the hot seat: how does he see himself as a content creator?
- Leading from behind