Welcome back to PSA Thursday, a mostly-weekly segment in which we talk about how to handle money, work, and life in the middle of a pandemic.
Do you have school-age children? If so, then brace yourself for a school year like no other.
This year, some children will return to school five days a week. Others will learn from home five days a week, and yet others will experience a hybrid of the two.
You and your kids may face wildly different schedules and challenges than anything you’ve encountered before.
How can you cope with this? Mandy Bert and Rob Phelan, who both work as teachers and are on the K-12 Education Team at the ChooseFI International Foundation, join us to share tips to help your children – and you! – survive the school year.
Here are the topics that we discuss:
- What might a hybrid learning model look like?
- How to approach this new situation with a positive mindset
- The importance of setting a schedule for your children and why routine and structure matter
- Why (and how) to communicate with teachers so you and your child can both prepare for the fall
- The common concerns Mandy and Rob hear from parents and how they’re addressing them
- How parents can provide for the social and emotional well-being for their kids
- What you can do if your children differ greatly in age and attend different schools
- Why you should check out other resources offered in your community, like your library
Resources Mentioned & Recommended by the Guests:
- ChooseFI International Foundation
- FI 101 Free Personal Finance Course
- PreK-12 FI Curriculum
- Webinar Replay with Dante Brown about trauma informed teaching in the Fall
- Accidental Homeschooler Facebook Group
- ChooseFI Educators Facebook Group