It’s September! I’m on round two of what I’ve dubbed my September Sabbatical, otherwise known as my yearly time to take a one-month recess from podcast production.
Throughout September, we’re airing some of the most insightful, inspiring interviews from the archives. You’ll hear from experts discussing topics like habits, happiness, focus, digital minimalism, classic financial lessons and easy-to-make financial mistakes. Enjoy!
What does it take to create a sustainable sense of hope?
While we published this episode one year ago, the question of how to create hope remains as pressing as ever.
Mark says that three basic factors contribute to a sense of hope:
Mark and I keep these three factors in mind as we discuss how to define success, find new challenges, and choose what’s meaningful in life. We touch on the importance of emotional regulation and avoiding crises of hope. And we talk about how they relate back to the financial independence retire early (FIRE) movement.
You’ll enjoy this episode if…
- You hear the word “purpose” or “passion,” and your default reaction is what the heck is that and can someone hand it to me, please?
- You’re on the FIRE journey and you’re worried about finding purpose on the other side.
- You want to transition from a transactional view of the world to a view that involves living according to principles and values (and what those principles are).
- Everything is F*cked, by Mark Manson
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, by Mark Manson
- The Second Mountain, by David Brooks
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You, by Cal Newport
Thanks for listening, and remember to subscribe to the show notes if you haven’t already!