I live in Las Vegas. This is my home.
Here are a few things that happened today:
- Thousands stood in line for 6-8+ hours to donate blood.
- Hundreds more donated water, snacks and shade.
- Locals gathered on Facebook to offer free housing, rides, and pet-sitting for victims and volunteers.
- Airlines donated free flights to victims’ family members.
- Hotels donated free rooms to people traveling to Vegas to help victims.
- Rideshare and taxi companies offered free transportation to blood donation centers and hospitals.
- Faith leaders from many religions held vigils and encouraged giving.
Love is stronger than fear. Good is more powerful than evil. Heroes are more numerous than villains.
Please be a hero. Here are three ways you can help:
#1: Support the Las Vegas victims’ fund, which will provide support to the families of the shooting victims.
The Las Vegas Victims’ Fund campaign on GoFundMe raised $1.8 million within less than a day. Many of these donations came in small ($5 – $25) increments from people who gave whatever they could.
#2: The emergency rooms in Las Vegas feel “like we were in a war zone,” one trauma surgeon said. Please send support to local hospital staff who are working tirelessly. Giving $5 or $10 from every person can create a tremendous impact.
#3: Finally, please support any other causes that are calling you. We live in a world in which 1 in 9 people don’t have access to safe, clean drinking water. Around 1 in 3 people don’t have access to sanitation. These facts don’t make headlines. But they matter.