Ditch the Laptop

Hi everyone! I’m in Puerto Rico this week, and I’m taking a break from writing posts. I’ll return to normally-scheduled articles next week.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to work remotely from anywhere in the world. This is a freeing lifestyle, but it has its downsides. The good news is that I could stay in Puerto Rico for a month if I wanted to; the bad news is that its tough to disconnect from work and take a true break.

That’s why I left my laptop at home. Ditching the laptop is the only way I could force myself to unplug. :-)

(Of course, here I am checking email on a friend’s laptop. Old habits die hard).

Since I’m not writing this week, let me point you to great writing around the web.

On Riches: Len Penzo wrote a classic post on 19 Things Your Suburban Millionaire Neighbor Won’t Tell You. If you’re like me, you’ll read through the list and think, “Hey, I know that guy!”

On Travel: Niall Doherty is stuck in Tehran. His visa is expiring, so he has to leave the country, but he doesn’t have cash to buy a ticket, and none of the ATMs are working. In other words, Niall is on a real adventure. :-) Niall is a few months deep into his own year-long journey around the world, and his travel stories remind me of my own.

On Values: We say we want local merchants who offer great service, Seth Godin writes, but when push comes to shove, we buy from big-box retailers who compete on price, not quality.

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Ditch the Laptop”

1. Jorge Osuna
    21. Mar, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Hey! You in Puerto Rico? I’m here as well! Would love to chat a bit over coffee or a beach bumming morning ;) if you guys are game shot me an email :) my wife, daughter and I would be delighted to meet you :)

Btw, we ditched the laptops but discovered the iPads ;) but the idea is strong, disconnecting is the only way to really have time to enjoy new surroundings :)

Anyway, enjoy PR! There’s so much to do and see :)

• AffordAnything.org
      23. Mar, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

@Jorge – Oh no, I just read your comment after I came back! That’s the flip side of ditching the laptop … I miss out on great invites/opportunities like that! :-( Thank you for the invite … next time!!

• Piracanto
        27. Mar, 2012 at 3:07 am #

I thought that may happen, next time then! I hope you had a terrific time!

2. femmefrugality
    23. Mar, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Hope you had an amazing time! I think time away from work should be mandated…especially as a writer. That way you can go out into the world and actually experience it so you have something to write about when you come back.

3. BusyExecutiveMoneyBlog
    23. Mar, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Taking time to recharge the batteries is what you must do. Congrats Paula! I’ve got to get some time off as well.

4. Luis@wealth-steps
    24. Mar, 2012 at 8:29 am #

Welcome to my homeland. Although I live in Atlanta now I am sure you will enjoy the time there. I completely agree with the ditching the laptop thing. We have so many choices to stay connected that it is hard to disconnect. So work on your tan and give your wrists a break!

5. Nicole
    04. Apr, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

wow. I love this blog so much. I’ve been to Puerto Rico last year and I love that place.

6. Shalani
    09. Apr, 2012 at 4:50 am #

What a beautiful place you’ve been.Hope you have a great time their.